Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Log In or Join  
Active Topics
Local Time 19:27 02 Oct 2026 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite V6.04.00 release candidates

     Page 2 of 2    
Author Message
Peter63
Senior Member

Joined: 28/07/2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 214
Posted: 07:41am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK checking...
 
ville56
Guru

Joined: 08/06/2022
Location: Austria
Posts: 623
Posted: 07:43am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

just tried, the cursor artefact also appears with a ST7789_320 display but not with ILI9488. cursor hide has no effect.

Gerald
                                                                 
73 de OE1HGA, Gerald
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11928
Posted: 07:45am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Could be a duff pin on your Pico or a wiring bug. Are you running on long wires?
I guarantee on my ST7789_320 all aspects of gui cursor are working as expected.
 
Peter63
Senior Member

Joined: 28/07/2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 214
Posted: 07:55am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

  Quote  The ST7796S controller does support reading from the framebuffer. Check the schematic for your screen and that GP16 is properly connected. You may be able to modify something to get MISO working.


here are some info...





is modification possible?

/Peter63
 
ville56
Guru

Joined: 08/06/2022
Location: Austria
Posts: 623
Posted: 07:58am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes, the wires are rather long (abt 20 cm), not terminated and constitute a bus with 6 displays in all but as there are no other side effects, I doubt that theory. But transmission lines are always a dog. I'm running that display with a BLIT WRITE every second over the full display area (clock seconds display) and there was never any distorted pixel whatever I display on it.
Do the cursor display routines use different timing as the other display routines (BLIT, TEXT, ...) do?

Gerald

P.S. if I find time tomorrow, I could set up a ST7789_320 with a clean and short wiring and test it again.
Edited 2026-09-23 17:59 by ville56
                                                                 
73 de OE1HGA, Gerald
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11928
Posted: 08:17am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can we take this on another thread if necessary as it isn't a firmware issue
 
phil99

Guru

Joined: 11/02/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 3392
Posted: 08:22am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the table of RP2350 pins, LCD column, MISO is not assigned.
The display has SDO (MISO) shown but it does not appear to be connected to the RP2350.
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 08:25am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

  Peter63 said  


is modification possible?
/Peter63


LCD_MISO is not connected to the pico.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
Peter63
Senior Member

Joined: 28/07/2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 214
Posted: 08:29am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

  Quote  Can we take this on another thread if necessary as it isn't a firmware issue


Yepp
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11928
Posted: 08:35am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

V6.04.00RC1 is posted at https://github.com/UKTailwind/PicoMite/releases/tag/PicoMite-V6.04.00RC1

DIM of a user-defined TYPE could fail with Not enough memory for 0 bytes, reported against a line that was perfectly correct, and adding an
unrelated statement elsewhere in the program made it come and go. The
IF/END IF jump table and the table of TYPE definitions both live in the
BASIC heap, and clearing that heap did not tell either of them, so the jump
table went on to release memory that by then held a TYPE definition and was
rebuilt over the top of it. Found from a report by G@bor. It is not new to
this release - it needed a particular arrangement of memory to show itself.

The first flash write after a power-on now waits a second for the supply to
settle. The boot counter is written to A: early in start-up, and on a
board whose 3.3 V rail sits close to the flash chip's minimum that write
could reach the wrong sector, leaving a board that booted once more and then
not at all. Only a cold start waits; a reset button or CPU RESTART does
not.

MM.VER tells release candidates apart. RC1 reads 6.040051 and RC0
reads 6.040050. Every RCn used to read a bare 6.04, so a board you had
just reflashed looked identical to one you had not.
PLAY BBC SOUND queues 16 notes per channel instead of 8, and
MM.INFO(BBC BUFFER [channel]) reports how many more notes a channel will
take without waiting. With no channel it answers for the emptiest of the
four, which is the figure that is safe whichever channel comes next.
Out of memory now names the size, as in Not enough memory for 16000008 bytes. The three earlier messages - Not enough PSRAM memory, Not enough Heap memory and Not enough System Heap memory - have become this one.

LIBRARY LOAD says a source file is empty rather than reporting it as
missing.

A drive format requested during start-up is no longer repeated by an
unrelated OPTION PLATFORM change afterwards.

On the WiFi builds, a full connection table no longer writes past the end of
the connection arrays.

Writes to the A: drive are bounded at run time, so a bad block number can
no longer become an erase at a computed address.
 
terekgabor
Senior Member

Joined: 02/01/2026
Location: Hungary
Posts: 140
Posted: 09:37am 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Peter again!

I can try it later afternoon.
I will feed back.

G@bor
 
Briano
Newbie

Joined: 20/01/2026
Location: Canada
Posts: 19
Posted: 04:09pm 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

Thank you for continuing to support MMBasic, particularly for PicoCalc.

I've been playing with getting Weather from OpenWeatherMap. I noticed when my WiFi signal is weak, and the connection time's out, my Basic program exits with an error message, then a few seconds later I see a register dump and the CPU restarts.

All works fine if there is no timeout.

I was wondering if PicoMite might be receiving the data late, trying to store the data into my buffer, but since the program crashed, maybe the buffer is gone.

Whatever the problem, is this something which can be fixed? (besides me getting a stronger WiFi signal)


thanks .....Brian
 
terekgabor
Senior Member

Joined: 02/01/2026
Location: Hungary
Posts: 140
Posted: 04:16pm 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Peter!

I tested, the problem has gone.
Thanks again!

G@bor
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11928
Posted: 04:43pm 23 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Briano:
Thanks for the report. I suspect your diagnosis is correct. I'll have a look at it and try and get a fix into the next release candidate
 
ville56
Guru

Joined: 08/06/2022
Location: Austria
Posts: 623
Posted: 12:42pm 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I know what the reason is:

  Peter63 said  GUI cursor on/off – when I set the cursor to off, a light-colored box remains.

> option list
PicoMite MMBasic RP2350B V6.04.00RC0
OPTION LCD SPI GP18,GP19,GP16
OPTION SYSTEM I2C GP34,GP35
OPTION FLASH SIZE 16777216
OPTION COLOURCODE ON
OPTION PICO OFF
OPTION CPUSPEED (KHz) 200000
OPTION LCDPANEL ST7796S, LANDSCAPE,GP20,GP23,GP21,GP22,INVERT
OPTION TOUCH FT6336 GP25,GP24,,50
GUI CALIBRATE 1, 6, 312, 10243, -9961
OPTION GUI CONTROLS 50
OPTION SDCARD GP31, GP26, GP27, GP28
> gui cursor on
> gui cursor off
>




 

/Peter63


I am also using a hw-config without MISO (data from display to cpu) connected. When using the cursor, MMBasic seems to read data from the display hardware via MISO, for whatever reason. If MISO is not connected, it is read as all ones and this results in a white patch. Tried it with MISO on the pico side tied to GND and the patch was black (all zero).

So the artefact is because MISO is internally used but not connected properly or not connected at all.

Gerald
                                                                 
73 de OE1HGA, Gerald
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11928
Posted: 01:33pm 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Precisely so, without miso nothing involving reading the display framebuffer can work. BLIT, transparent text, cursor and probably more
 
Briano
Newbie

Joined: 20/01/2026
Location: Canada
Posts: 19
Posted: 03:40pm 30 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

Were you able to release a fix for this problem?
Is it included in v7? EDIT: I see in GitHub this is fixed in v7)
Thank you.....Brian


  Briano said  Hi Peter,

Thank you for continuing to support MMBasic, particularly for PicoCalc.

I've been playing with getting Weather from OpenWeatherMap. I noticed when my WiFi signal is weak, and the connection time's out, my Basic program exits with an error message, then a few seconds later I see a register dump and the CPU restarts.

All works fine if there is no timeout.

I was wondering if PicoMite might be receiving the data late, trying to store the data into my buffer, but since the program crashed, maybe the buffer is gone.

Whatever the problem, is this something which can be fixed? (besides me getting a stronger WiFi signal)


thanks .....Brian

Edited 2026-10-01 01:43 by Briano
 
     Page 2 of 2    
Print this page


To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia.
© JAQ Software 2026