Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 05:41 17 Sep 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : RPZ Compute module

Page 2 of 4    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:57am 25 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So, that's a ESP8266-01S version done.

RPZ COMPUTE ESP
Has a RP2040-Zero with a ESP8266-01S wireless modem module connected to COM1. The ADC connector and GP11-GP14 are omitted. GP15 is connected to the INT signal. Buttons are provided for the RST pin and IO0 to assist with programming.IO2 is brought out on GP11 pin of the module and IO0 on GP12 pin.

If anyone wants any of the modules in this series, or would like me to produce another version, please let me know. I'm not publishing further design details at the moment as I'm still playing (as you may have noticed...). :)

I'm considering putting four modules together on a single PCB so that one order will get you five of each. Probably the original, VGA, BT and ESP but I'm open to any ideas. Unfortunately I can't really get any more than four on - and you'll need to cut them, although JLCPCB would almost certainly cut the notches for the RPX2040-Zero.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:29am 25 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mock,

Just show the nice green top view board pictures. No need for Gerbers until interest.
That will get them excited...

For the ESP: it needs far more 3.3V power than the regulator on the ZERO can deliver....

Volhout
Edited 2024-06-25 18:30 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:56am 25 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The ESP is specified as taking a maximum of 170mA. I've included for an electrolytic cap on the 3V3 rail to help with higher current spikes. The regulator on the RP2040-Zero is the RT9013, which is rated for a minimum of 400mA (under ideal conditions!). Allowing for around 50mA for the Zero, that should probably allow at least 200mA comfortably for the ESP. There'll be just about nothing spare for any external loads, but it would be ok for using the GP pins as inputs.

I'll sort out some piccies. :)
Mick

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:19am 25 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Piccies!

The others look very similar to the pics already posted so I won't repeat them.
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:30am 25 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

170mA + 50mA = 220mA (pico = 50mA when running 133MHz)
5V - 3.3V = 1.7V
1.7V * 220mA = 375mW

It is within spec, but I would not rely on it. It will get extremely hot, and when it reaches thermal shutdown, you will loose both WIFI and Pico, or they run very unreliable.

Volhout
Edited 2024-06-25 19:31 by Volhout

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:44am 25 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh well, it is what it is. :) There's no way to get it's own regulator on there. The only place for it is directly under the antenna, which isn't going to help the range in the least. Of course, you *should* be running it at lower power to keep within most countries RF regulations...

As I've never had any success with these anyway I'm not too fussed. It's unlikely that I could test it. lol

------------------------------

Having said all that, here's V0.11 with added LM1117 goodness. (Yes, I wrote the wrong number on the silkscreen! It's not important, the connections are right.) The antenna ends up about 10mm away from the back of the Zero so it might be ok.

Edited 2024-06-25 22:36 by Mixtel90
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:30am 28 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi mIck,

Just received my first ZERO, and it is running AI...;)

Volhout

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:51pm 28 Jun 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh yes, they are good at that!  :)

But why, oh why does it have castellated holes when it's so awkward to surface mount, and the YD-RP2040 would be great for surface mounting if it had castellated holes? Sometimes I just can't win. :)
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:59pm 19 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First time seen in the wild?

Dim p(7)=(1,2,4,5,6,7,9,10)
For i=0 To 7
 Print p(i);" ";
 SetPin p(i),dout
Next i
Print
Do
 For i=0 To 7
   Pin(p(i)) = Rnd() '.5 rounded up: off or on
   Pause 500
 Next i
Loop

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 19 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep, AFAIK that's the very first. It looks rather cute.  :)
Mick

DaveJacko

Posted: 10:35pm 19 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

YES.. ticks many boxes for the experimenter,

always good if you can turn a DIP into a SIP
** maybe possibly improved if you could put the RPZero onto a socket..
don't know about you, but I often seem to brick things..

I don't like killing anything, including microprocessors

Thanks for your work!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:37am 20 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That version of the Zero is the cheapest one from AE, which is why the PCB is notched out. I considered using a socket for it but TBH I don't think it's worth the hassle.

The idea was to have something as reliable as is reasonably possible - it could even be used for small industrial stuff. That's why there is a hole. A rod can be threaded through that to an angle bracket at each end to lock the modules into their sockets. Getting rid of a layer of headers does two things, it increases reliability and it reduces the "thickness" of the module so that they could be packed closer together.

The design for the bus only has 3 modules across about 100mm of width, but that's because of the IDC connectors that I used. There are almost certainly narrower alternatives. You can add bus modules end to end though.
Mick

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm putting together two 100x100 boards with multiple modules on them. They'll need cutting. It'll be a very cheap way to set up some experimental setups.

Board 1 has a 3-slot expandable motherboard and a RPZ compute module

Board 2 has Bluetooth, ESP8266, VGA (over RJ45), a short board with indicator LEDs and one spare position at the moment.

Now, what do I populate the spare position with? There is a choice of:
1 - JDY-40. One of my favourites which is a wireless modem in this case (no access to the GPIO pins).
2 - isolated COM (like a MIDI interface). I thought this might be an interesting substitute for RS-485 over shortish distances, with the bonus of isolated supplies.
Those are the only other options I've come up with at present.

Unfortunately I can't quite get 6 modules on a 100mmx100mm board, only 4 and a short one (which isn't long enough for a Zero to be useful). Doing a third board shoves the cost up.

I've not priced it up yet, but I wonder if it would be worth trying all the lot on a single board?
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:59am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

I think I am in no way qualified to suggest a way forward, but if this is meant to be used in an industrial environment, I would focus on having IO that prevents ground loops and prevent electrical shock.

Since the main controller can be VGA, the main controller is per definition earthed through the VGA cable/monitor. This leads to a requirement for isolated IO, unless the monitor is powered from an isolation transformer, but then still it is electrically wired to the IO ground.

Maybe you should communicate to the main controller through an isolated RS232, or bluetooth (wireless) or JDY-40(wireless). In that case you would best use the USB version developped for CMM1.5 to get console at UART pins.

I am sure these thoughts have crossed your mind several times already, so I am just duplicating your thoughts...

Volhout
Edited 2024-07-22 20:01 by Volhout

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:27am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got a price of £12.06 for boards with everything on, including postage.

It's all just for playing really, Volhout. It would have to be far more rugged as a proper industrial controller, I think, but for small, simple things it might be ok.

As a controller I'd expect it to run alone - there's no keyboard or terminal interface as such by default. The VGA connection is only for a display. A wireless connection is perfectly possible as all the modules can be a master and have control of the COM/I2C bus. For a wired connection the "MIDI" connection gives full duplex to a COM port so it could be configured as a console connection.

I'm not going to bother with isolated IO. That can easily be added on the end of ribbon cables plugged into the motherboard (the modules aren't really designed to be used alone, although it's perfectly possible). You can opto-isolate to anything then.

Likewise I'm not considering the USB version. It doesn't really fit in with my concept - it isn't a computer, it's more like a PLC with the possibility of distributed IO.

Typical arrangement:
Board 1 runs the process and has a Compute as master and a ESP that's linked to a local network
Board 2 in a different building has a ESP as master and two computes which are providing IO
Board 3 is a process indicator, with another ESP and a VGA

A CMM2 Gen 2 is used for overall control, linking to Board 1 using its ESP from an office

UPDATE:
The JDY-40 now has pins GP01, GP02, GP03, GP04 and GP05 brought out on the GP10, GP11, GP12, GP13 & GP14 pins of the IDC connector. GP08 drives an LED as before. This allows it to be used as a remote control by operating pins GP01 to GP05 to get a remote device to operate its pins. This operates independently of the Zero. It can also receive a byte and bits GP01 to GP05 can be fed into GP pins of the Zero. Of course it can still operate as a 2.4GHz wireless modem too.
Edited 2024-07-22 21:47 by Mixtel90
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:43am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

£12.06 for 5 with everything on a single board, or $4USD x 2 PCBs (£6.19) for 2 100mm x 100mm designs?

I'd go with the two separate boards.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:49am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you do it as two separate boards you can't get one of the modules. Also, if you put the two on a single order only one of them gets the special offer price. I still need to sort out the cost for that.

I'm getting $13.29 for two boards on the same order including shipping. Why it's not in £ I don't know! About £10.28 at the moment.
Edited 2024-07-22 22:07 by Mixtel90
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  if you put the two on a single order only one of them gets the special offer price

My solution so far: place 2 orders. $4 per order with shipping and PayPal payment.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:23pm 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, but which module would you omit?  :)
Mick

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 11:50am 25 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a thought -
how would these go adopting a "Click" format small module connecting on the "Mikrobus" bus ?

Page 2 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024