Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Log In or Join  
Active Topics
Local Time 18:41 02 Oct 2026 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : I need a compressor/expander.....

Author Message
Grogster

Admin Group

Joined: 31/12/2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 10052
Posted: 08:52am 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many exist in 19" rack form, with controls up the backside, but I just want a simple compressor/expander with VERY little controls, that will boost quite bits, and turn-down loud bits, WITHOUT needing to have a degree in audio engineering to use the bloody thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!
 
Revlac

Guru

Joined: 31/12/2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 1309
Posted: 09:44am 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well at the time I didn't know much about them and had a look, Here  a lot popped up and is quite a selection and yes mostly rack mount.  DBX Compressor Limiter, seen else wear is low price.

Now a while back Audacity was able to do some of this sort of work on a track, might be worth a try.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid
 
Chopperp

Guru

Joined: 03/01/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 1134
Posted: 02:05pm 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Silicon Chip put out this many years ago.
Probably not want you want though.
Also, the SA571 compander chip may be hard to get as well.

Brian
ChopperP
 
TassyJim

Guru

Joined: 07/08/2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6620
Posted: 08:45pm 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The NE571 is available on Ebay 16pin DIP for ~$1AU each in lots of 10

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit
 
Grogster

Admin Group

Joined: 31/12/2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 10052
Posted: 04:46am 02 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Aaron: Yeah, those are the things I can get quite easily from many different music instrument stores, but they are COVERED in knobs and switches and I just find them too complicated to setup and use.  Also, I want to put this in place at a village community hall in front of the mixer, and anything with lots of knobs and switches will not only confuse the residents, but some residents will not be able to stop themselves from twiddling knobs and pushing buttons, and will screw up all the settings.  I could hide a rack-type unit behind locked doors, I suppose, but still...

@ Brian: YES, that is the kind of thing I am wanting, and now that you linked me to it, I remember that article.  I am pretty sure I have that issue in my SC collection, so I will dig up that issue and have a wee read.  

@ Jim: Authentic or fakes I wonder....  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!
 
Grogster

Admin Group

Joined: 31/12/2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 10052
Posted: 05:10am 02 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

eBay do indeed seem to be selling authentic, laser-engraved Philips brand SA571N's, so I ordered some.

LINK...

Seller has a history of over 500,000 trades, and feedback of 99.6% so these are probably the genuine article, and the seller is an honest one.
Edited 2026-10-02 15:23 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!
 
Print this page


To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia.
© JAQ Software 2026