Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:27 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Cheap shunt energy meter w/ data output (DC side)?

flyingfishfinger

Posted: 07:07pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all-
I've been thinking of adding a capacity / energy meter to the DC side of my batteries. We already spot-check usage of fridge & larger tools using the AC plug-in meters, but I run my lighting on the battery directly to avoid kicking on the inverter just for that.

I see things like this: https://invertersrus.com/product/spartan-power-battery-monitor/. The price is right it looks like they do the job - but so far things in this price range I've found don't have data outputs. This one in particular also only has a running time of 999 hours (41 days) before the counter overflows, and it's not clear what happens to the capacity measurement at that point.

The Victron SmartShunts are far more pricey - and they talk to the Victron apps & devices.

Any suggestions or experiences around here with similar devices that DO have a data output?  I could DIY one with a shunt, a current sense amplifier and ANOTHER Arduino... but I'd rather just plug in a box - I have too many projects already :/

Cheers,
R

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 09:40pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Meter

these are cheap and quite good.. shows everything ish...
I think it works !!

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:14pm 05 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Be careful with the meter you posted, a lot of the time they are only dumb meters, as they DON'T count charging and discharging separately it just sees current flow..

I tried one of these which seem to be the same as above...
I think it works !!

flyingfishfinger

Posted: 09:31pm 05 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fair enough... they seem suspiciously cheap. However, I do not need bidirectional accumulation since my charge and discharge wiring meet at the literal battery terminals. I don't have a place to measure both, but that's ok because I can subtract charge capacity measured from the MPPT later. That's one reason I want data output.

The first one you linked - do you know how long it accumulates for? The manual also says 999 hours so it would seem to have the same problem as the one I noted.

R
Edited 2024-03-06 07:32 by flyingfishfinger

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:23pm 06 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Im unsure what you mean by hours ? could you please clarify??

Ive attached a photo of my system after a night... they seem to be pretty spot on..

The one on the bottom is the original and is about 5+ years old, the top one is about a year old...
I think it works !!

flyingfishfinger

Posted: 08:50pm 06 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the pics though! You also mentioned that you tried one of the "dumb" meters similar to my original suggestion - what was your experience with that?

As for the hours thing - I meant that in the manuals for both devices it says the time counter runs out / resets after 999 hours, which is 41 days. So I was wondering if the capacity count ALSO resets back to zero after 41 days, since it needs a time measurement to make that calculation.

R

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:53pm 07 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No, the current measurements never " run out " .. ive never even noticed the " time " on them, as i don't use that feature. maybe its for people who track running time or something.

the other meter seemed quite good, just was completely useless to me as it ONLY recognises current flow, charging/discharging reads the same.

hope this helps...
I think it works !!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024