Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 10:57 08 Sep 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Capacitive touch switch problems

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 07:08am 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently purchased a new charger for our car. It has a capacitive touch switch that to access the menus.
It does not respond to my touch. I managed to get it to respond a couple of times but it is far too unreliable to use.
So I sent it back the the seller and they claim it tests perfectly.

I do have another charger with the same capacitive switch and it works fine, no problems at all.
I am using an aliexpress 8010 based board and an AC coupled Zeversolar inverter to run it.
I have no problems with any other electronic gear.

I was wondering if a mains filter would help or if any of the more knowledgeable folk here can point me in a direction that would get the thing to work.
The sellers said that they are sending the unit back to me as they claim it works.
I am very dubious
Pete

phil99

Guru

Posted: 07:25am 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To test if it is faulty or just has low sensitivity try with a damp finger, or with AlFoil wrapped around your finger.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 07:43am 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Phil I will try your suggestions when it comes back. The seller sent me a video of it working for them. They seem to think it was user error on my part.
I will try the wet finger or alfoil idea when I get it.
I am thinking it may be EFI from my inverter, but strangely no other gear has any problems with my inverters. Both my other EV chargers work fine and adjust properly.
This one is a bigger 32 amp one for when the weather is clear and we have heaps of solar power.
I will probably run it at 25 amps but it would be great if it adjusted as it is supposed to.
Thanks again
Pete

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 07:59am 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds a bit familiar Pete, a chap who used to work for me disliked touchscreens with a passion as he was sure that they hated him. He would stab away at the screen with his finger getting little response.

When I tried the same screen it worked easily and repeatedly but for his fingers whilst I watched no such luck. Maybe he had very dry or pliable skin I have no idea how it worked fine for me but not him.

Some time later he had to write software for a touch screen GUI I think he regarded this as punishment, but he was the software guy so he just had to deal with it, lots of grumbling happening until it was finished. Now years later I'm not sure if it was actually resistive or capacitive in hindsight, I just assumed capacitive.
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 08:40am 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mike, I will see how it goes when it comes back. My partner has really cold fingers and lots of touch screen stuff on the phone don't work for her. Maybe the car charger will work for her.
I tried drying my fingers, wiping the button all sorts of stuff.
I was wondering if there was some way to make sure that the menu button worked for me, If I have more trouble I will get you to send a photo of your finger to show it and see if it responds to that
Cheers
Pete

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024