Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 11:21 08 Sep 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Mab1's wiseguy inverter build - transformer options

Page 4 of 4    
phil99

Guru

Posted: 03:47am 03 Sep 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It depends on how much spare time you can afford.
If the outer winding has been wrapped in a few layers of plastic film the it may be possible to break the potting mix away in chunks. First use a hacksaw to cut through the plastic container every few cm and peel it away.

Then an exploratory cut to see how deeply buried the windings are. Make a couple of parallel cuts to that depth 1 cm apart and another pair of cuts at a right angle to them and test how hard it is to lever that block out.
If that isn't too hard larger blocks may be possible.

If the outer winding isn't wrapped you may have to sacrifice it.

About 4 decades ago we reverse engineered epoxy potted modules by soaking them in a chemical solvent for a week. Unfortunately I don't remember the name. Anyway it may well be banned now, it was very aggressive stuff, had to be used outdoors and could only be kept in a glass bottle. It ate every thing else.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:13am 04 Sep 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I took to it with a sharp chisel, gently taking off thin layers. Struck coper. No plastic wrap unfortunately.

All good, I'll put it aside and strip it down one day for a few bucks of copper and the iron core.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024