Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Log In or Join  
Active Topics
Local Time 18:41 02 Oct 2026 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Update PicoGamer/GameMite with V6.04

Author Message
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 07:34am 22 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

New games for MMBasic are not always compatible with the UF2 MMBasic releases for PicoGamer and GameMite(5.08 for Game*Mite).

It doesn't look like there are any new UF2 images for the handhelds on the horizon right now.
How do I manually update to the new version, V6.04, so that the GameMite still works?
Will the games from the UF2 image still run? I'm guessing I'll have to back up the settings/options via the terminal and copy the data from drive A: to B: to save them.
How compatible is the GameMite with the PicoGamer, anyway?

Greetings,
Peter
 
Mixtel90

Guru

Joined: 05/10/2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9163
Posted: 07:49am 22 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm not sure that there is any compatibility between the GameMite with the PicoGamer at all. The two systems were developed independently of each other AFAIK. I don't have a PicoGamer so I can't test.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 08:46am 22 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All,

Pico Gamer and Game*Mite are 99% compatible.
The only difference is that Pico Gamer uses 4MB/16MB flash and Game*Mite has 2MB (RP2040 pico 1).

All programs from Pico Gamer run on Game*Mite. All games from Game*Mite run on Pico Gamer. Both platforms are released with MMBasic V5.8.0

Pico Gamer : Geoff only released 2 uf2 images to program the pico (4MB and 16MB).
Game*Mite : Tom released 1 uf2 image (2MB) and a set of tools (install-a.bas) to create a Game*Mite with 'any' MMBasic version.

This tool was adapted and used by me to create a new Game*Mite uf2 image based on MMBasic 6.3.0. Together with 'patched' games and new games. The games needed patching since there are significant differences between MMBasic 5.8.0 and MMBasic 6.3.0 (and now 6.4.0).

The MMbasic 6.3.0 uf2 file for Game*Mite is a fusion of Pico Gamer and Game*Mite (it uses Geoff's menu system, but still has Tom's file browser and an app).

Also important to note is that Peter created a RP2040MIN version of MMBasic, that has roughly 200kbyte larger A:/ drive, so more games can be stored. At cost of loosing several software functions (turtle/structs/GUI/etc..). These where not used by classic Game*Mite games anyway. This RP2040MIN version was the basis for the Game*Mite 60300 uf2 file.

Volhout

P.S. There are few Game*Mite's equipped with pico2 (RP2350) boards. There is also a uf2 file for these with MMbasic 6.3.0.  To my knowledge there is no Pico Gamer with RP2350 board.

P.P.S. I think you can use Tom's install-a.bas to create your own Pico Gamer with MMBasic 6.4.0. If I had a 2040 board with 4MB and 16MB flash, I could do it for you. It is relatively easy.
Edited 2026-09-22 19:06 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 09:58am 22 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Volhout
OK, so as I understand it, “install-a.bas” formats the A: drive.
Where do I need to run it from? Do I have to copy the games from
“A:/GameMite” there myself?
Would the UF2 file for the PicoGamer be the PicoMiteRP2040MINV6.04.00RC0.uf2?
I admit I’m a little confused...
MMBasic has gotten pretty complex by now.
Where can we get your 'patched' games?
Edited 2026-09-22 20:02 by PilotPirx
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 11:15am 22 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi PilotPirx,

I will be able to access my Game*Mite thursday evening, and I will zip up the install files, and write a short instruction.

But in essence :
you need an SD card with folder "GameMite" and inside it all the games and associated files (as if they where on the A:/ drive). The patched games that is. inside that folder the "install-a.bas" is added, and the menu called "startup.bas".

You connect the Pico Gamer to a PC with boot button pressed. Install the MMbasic (2040MIN) image. Then (after reset) connect through terminal(*), type OPTION RESET GAMEMITE. After reboot, connect through terminal, go to SD card (B:/GameMite/) and type:  RUN "install-a.bas"

It will copy the content of B:/GameMite to the newly made A:/GameMite
Then (still in folder B:/GameMite/) manually type:
LOAD "startup.bas"
FLASH SAVE 1
OPTION AUTORUN 1,noreset.

Done...
Reboot(reset), and the PicoGamer/GameMite menu will show, and allow you to play.

Volhout
(*) terminal = PC program "TeraTerm".

P.S. the "uf2" file is a flash image for the pico. MMBasic 6.04.00 is supplied as a flash image that contains MMBasic, and an empty A:/ drive. The complete Pico Gamer flash can also be supplied as a "uf2" file, consisting of MMBasic plus a full A:/ drive, menu, configured options. And that complete uf2 file does not exist yet. You can only program MMBasic 60400, and then manually configure the hardware to become a Pico Gamer. (unless Geoff supplies a Pico Gamer uf2 file that has it all). Above text is the manual method for converting a MMBasic pico to PicoGamer/Game*Mite.

P.P.S. Despite the fact that Geoff did not respond, I think he intends to wait until the picomite storm has settled before releasing a new uf2, since almost daily changes to picomite MMbasic are comming. Mind that before releasing a uf2, all content has to be tested (just play all games to the end....). Especially since it is a Silicon Chips published design. And with every new change in MMBasic, a re-test is needed.
Edited 2026-09-22 21:33 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 11:30am 22 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, that's really helpful of you.
With these great instructions, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out.
I'm always amazed at how knowledgeable and helpful the members of this forum are.
As soon as I have access to my device (probably not until the end of the week), I'll give it a try.
Thank you very much, Volhout
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 08:55am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Volhout
Running "install-a.bas" produces Errors with V6.04:
[11] #Include "splib/system.inc"
Error : Invalid character: #

So i copy every File by hand.

The startup.bas produces Error too:
> RUN
[11] #Include "splib/system.inc"
Error : Invalid character: #
>

Does the #Include differ in V6.04?
 
thwill

Guru

Joined: 16/09/2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4405
Posted: 09:02am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... and I was trying to stay out of this .

@PilotPirx, where are you getting your install-a.bas and startup.bas files from? Given the errors I can see you are using the raw (MMB4L) versions - they need to be transpiled before they will run on a PicoMite.

This zip file contains the latest transpiled versions I published https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-gamemite/releases/download/v1.2.0/GameMite-1.2.0-alternative.zip but I know that @Volhout has moved the state of the art beyond that.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2026-09-24 19:10 by thwill
MMBasic for Linux, Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 09:33am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom, PilotPirx,

This evening I can get to my Game*Mite and I will present you with a possible solution (as earlier agreed).
I have already verified that my "install-a.bat" works with 60400MIN so don't worry.

We'll get there..

Volhout
Edited 2026-09-24 19:43 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 09:59am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi thwil,
It looks like I used the wrong files.
But when I use the ones from your link, I get a message saying it can't find a file (splash.bmp), even though it's in the a:/GameMite folder.


  Quote  A:/GameMite
  <DIR>  .
  <DIR>  ..
  <DIR>  data
  <DIR>  images
  <DIR>  lib
  <DIR>  music
  <DIR>  Utility Programs
00:06 01-01-2024      28559  3D Maze.bas
00:06 01-01-2024       7691  Circle One.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      60000  Circle One.mod
00:06 01-01-2024       6572  fl_day.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024       6426  fl_night.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024      30441  Flappy Bird.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      10280  fm.bas
00:06 01-01-2024       2775  install-a.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      68091  Kingdom.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      64535  Lazer Cycle.bas
00:06 01-01-2024        123  menu.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      70483  PETSCII Robots.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      18261  Pico Blocks.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      77116  Pico Man.bas
00:06 01-01-2024      27676  Pico Vaders.bas
00:06 01-01-2024         12  score.txt
00:06 01-01-2024     119908  sll3sfx2.mod
00:06 01-01-2024       8063  Snake.bas
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake1.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake2.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake3.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake4.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake5.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake6.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake7.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024        256  snake8.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024       8310  splash.bmp
00:06 01-01-2024       4356  startup.bas
7 directories, 28 files, 925696 bytes free
> [96] Load Image gamemite.file$(sys.get_config$("splash", "unknown", CONFIG$)), 32, y%
Error : Could not find the file
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 10:08am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, i'm waiting for Volhouts results.
Thanks
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 12:24pm 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One key difference between the PicoGamer and the Game Mite is
that on the PicoGamer, you could access drive B: and launch games from there.
That was very convenient when you wanted to try out new games.
The Game Mite's menu doesn't support that.
 
thwill

Guru

Joined: 16/09/2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4405
Posted: 12:34pm 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

  PilotPirx said  The Game Mite's menu doesn't support that.


IIRC with my builds you could use the "File Browser" utility to locate the .bas file on B: and then the [A] button to launch it.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2026-09-24 22:35 by thwill
MMBasic for Linux, Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 06:29pm 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi PilotPirx,

Please find attached ZIP file.
Extract it to an SD card.

Install MMBasic 6.04.00rc0. I used the PicoMiteRP2040MINV6.04.00RC0.uf2
This version is tested with the attached games.

After installing:
OPTION RESET GAMEMITE

Put the SD card in the PicoGamer.
B:
CHDIR "GM2026_2040"
RUN "install-a.bas"

Then follow the instructions:
LOAD "startup.bas"
FLASH SAVE 1
OPTION AUTORUN 1,noreset

On your A:/ drive you have a folder /Gamemite that contains all the games the current GameMite image has (it only has 700 kb flash). On the B: drive there is also a folder  /GameMite, and it contains additional games (Petscii Robots / Gems&Rocks / Chucky Egg / Stoned).
These can be run from the menu, when using the B button to select the B: drive.

Option:

In case you want these, or some of these to be copied to the A:/ drive, you can do following: use the file manager "miniFM3.bas" to copy them over. (note : the MMBasic MIN version does not have a built in filemanager, so you need to use miniFM3).

You can install miniFM3 by:
LOAD "miniFM3.bas"
FLASH SAVE 2
OPTION F9 "FLASH RUN 2"+chr$(13)

When you press F9 in Teraterm, you open a 2 pane filemanager. To copy from B: drive to A: drive, move the cursor to the requested folder, then F5 to copy, ENTER. Be patient, it may take a while to complete.

PicoGamer_GameMite.zip

Let me know if you run in trouble.

Volhout

P.S. the MaxiTrek game is not a finished game. You cannot control it using the PicoGamer keys, but this alpha version can be played by using the keyboard on TeraTerm. Work in Progress.
P.P.S. PicoFrog (frogger) has only 2 levels. As such it is also incomplete. But the 2 levels are playable. Work in Progress.
Edited 2026-09-25 05:42 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 06:58am 28 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Volhout,
Thanks for your effort, the great instructions, and the patched programs.
Unfortunately, I'm on the road right now, but I'll test it as soon as possible.

PilotPirx
 
PilotPirx

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 147
Posted: 12:12pm 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the great instructions on how to update—it's working great now.
Only two of the games aren't running:
1. Pico Man
When the game board is loading, I get the error message:
Error: not enough heap memory
[133] Text 128,120 .......

2. Maxitrek
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 03:26pm 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What version basic are you running .?
OPTION LIST shows it.

Volhout

P.S. on 6.04.00rc0 the MaxiTrek works, but indeed Pico-Man runs out of heap.
I will see what I can do about it. I fear for 7.00.00, making things worse.
Edited 2026-10-02 05:00 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6150
Posted: 07:21pm 01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PilotPirx,

If you install the new V7.00.00rc3 (the MIN version) there is 5 kbyte more heap, and Pico-Man runs fine.

MaxiTrek (the program) is being ported over. What runs is the file "picogame_b7_gm". But needs keyboard. I should not have added this to the repository. It is not finished.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. Thank you Peter, for 5 more kbyte heap.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
Print this page


To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia.
© JAQ Software 2026