Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 10:49 08 Sep 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : can MMBasic be made to work with these boards

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 09:43pm 24 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

is there any Chance of making either of the Pimoroni Demo Bases work with Picomite the DV Version here  Or the VGA Version ? I started Acquiring the Parts to Build myself a Pico BBC Micro , and should have just bought a Vintage BBC Micro! Dang that PiMoRoni and that whole VAT thing! But it would be cool if we could use a USB to Serial like in the BBC Micro Video for Keyboard or used the onboard USB because the Pimoroni board provides power! Plus what I really want More than it all is to have one of those boards and replace the pico socket with a ZIF Socket so I can just swap picos to change from BBC to Picomite to Commodore 64 to apple //e to Speccy etc...
"Experimenting" /W CPU Architecture Has been all done. The research is in. Intel Lost! USA got beat by that P1$$Ant Chris Curry 35 Years after Killing Acorn. ARM is the Future!

DaveJacko

Posted: 10:24pm 24 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

interesting stuff,

these guys do some good looking things,

I personally would like to play with the ..

" Pimoroni Pico VGA Demo Base "
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pimoroni-pico-vga-demo-base?variant=32369520672851

by the way, big thanks to our favourite Texan for kicking things along !!  
Nigel's OK, working in McDonalds.

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 02:19am 25 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DaveJacko said  
by the way, big thanks to our favourite Texan for kicking things along !!  
Nigel's OK, working in McDonalds.

Thanks Dave, Love all you Brits more than you Know, after Placing an Order with Pimoroni, I'm quite a bit more unhappy with the Monarchy then Usual for us DISSENTERS :) Funny thing is how the King's Taxes are as much as the Shipping! I did go to Microcenter today and picked up some toys :)

But I was Pushed to edge I paid $6 (4.65 Pound sterling) for picos with headers they were $4.50 a month ago
I'm real excited about the pico Decker and the idea of maybe having some 9 slot clones made for robotic Projects, and masking everything like VGA/Keyboard an expansion card with the same form factor of a pico maybe doing a sensor interface card and a motor driver card etc....
"Experimenting" /W CPU Architecture Has been all done. The research is in. Intel Lost! USA got beat by that P1$$Ant Chris Curry 35 Years after Killing Acorn. ARM is the Future!

al18

Posted: 05:04am 25 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FYI you can buy the Pimoroni Pico VGA Demo board for $24.95 at www.adafruit.com. They are moving locations in NY City, so orders are delayed 7-10 days to ship.

I doubt this board can run Picmite VGA, because this board dedicates 17 pins to VGA output. 15 pins for color and 2 pins for sync
Edited 2024-07-25 15:06 by al18

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:26am 25 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Correct - it won't work with MMBasic as you can't allocate VGA pins like that.
MMBasic doesn't support DV either so that board won't work.

When I say the boards won't work, I mean that you could plug a PicoMite in, but you wouldn't get the advertised functionality. Depending on the board and how much hardware hacking you are willing to do to it you *might* be able to get something useful out of one, but it seems rather pointless. You would find stripboard much easier to use.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 01:03pm 25 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ DaveJacko

Bad News from Manchester, last night Nigel was caught travelling on buses
Reading the graffiti about slashed seat affairs! He's facing 5 years in HMP Strangeways

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024