Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 11:08 08 Sep 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Component extreme packaging

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:15am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Just received a single FT231XS from Farnell/Element-14 and the packaging is extreme:
- Anti-static moisture barrier bag
- 12 month shelf life
- Big bag of silica gel
- "Magic" card with blue dots -> pink to detect moisture

Is this normal ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:23am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

Try "Quality Street" candy...(In Netherlands this stands for typical British candy).

Metal can, wrapped in plastic shrink foil. Additional seal with transparent tape.
Then all individual candy packed in transparent foil, then coloured metal coated non-stick paper, and then... you get to the candy.

Yip, we live in that world...Trying to save the environment, by adding more waste...

Volhout
Edited 2024-07-22 19:25 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

PhenixRising
Guru

Posted: 09:34am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Hi Tom,

Try "Quality Street" candy...(In Netherlands this stands for typical British candy).

Metal can, wrapped in plastic shrink foil. Additional seal with transparent tape.
Then all individual candy packed in transparent foil, then coloured metal coated non-stick paper, and then... you get to the candy.

Yip, we live in that world...Trying to save the environment, by adding more waste...

Volhout

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:42am 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, Tom, that's normal. Farnell take their anti-static handling very seriously. They actually have/had a special anti-static warehouse especially for the job. When you are shifting the amount of static-sensitive stuff that they do I can't really blame them. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:25pm 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does the inclusion of silica gel and the moisture detecting card in the packaging for this component mean I shouldn't be following my normal procedure of giving the assembled PCB a scrub with IPA and subsequent rinse with water?

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:36pm 22 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh no. It has to be clean.
You will, of course, be following it with multi-directional hot air drying followed by a water-extracting conformal coating, won't you?  ;)

I think the silica gel etc. is to reduce the chance of the Chinese 3-micron tin-plate over steel pins from falling off during a month's storage.  :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Sasquatch

Guru

Posted: 07:18pm 23 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LOL

IC's in plastic packages will absorb moisture from normal humidity levels in the atmosphere.  If you send a "wet" IC through a hot air reflow oven, it can cause a small steam explosion similar to popping corn.  There is a long drying process at lower temperatures (usually 120-150C) to insure that the IC is "dry" enough for processing at reflow temperatures.  See J-STD-033  

The "extreme" packaging, (Mylar bag, Silica Gel, moisture detector,) is meant to save you the hassle of re-drying the IC's if you are using a hot-air reflow process.
-Carl

al18

Posted: 08:37pm 23 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This standard packaging for Digikey and Mouser

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:20am 24 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch said  The "extreme" packaging, (Mylar bag, Silica Gel, moisture detector,) is meant to save you the hassle of re-drying the IC's if you are using a hot-air reflow process.

Thank you Carl, not a problem for me then since I'm hand-soldering the "wee-beastie".

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2024-07-24 20:20 by thwill

ryanm

Posted: 11:45pm 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I ordered a couple of hundred 18650 PCB mount battery holders from element 14 a while back. They posted out the single unit they had in Australian stock in a padded bag that day and then I got the rest from overseas later.

You need a pair of them to mount the battery, not sure what I was supposed to do with the single.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024