Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:34 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Anyone familiar with the Dorji DRF4432D radio modules?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:58am 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys.

I bought a couple Dorji RF transceiver modules for a rover - PC telemetry project, but I cant work them out. The datasheets are lacking, they usually show the wrong board and the setup mode instructions just dont work.

If I connect the two modules to a pair of USB-Serial converters, and fire up a couple serial terminals, I do get data transfer in both directions, but its misinterpreted.

For example, if I type ABC in one terminal, I get Ph( in the other, and visa versa.

I've set these up using their default factory settings, I cant change these settings until a DAC13 board arrives ( apparently you need that to program them ).

I think I'm missing something obvious, anyone been down this path?

https://www.wiltronics.com.au/product/7622/dorji-drf4432d20-a-443mhz-20dbm-ism-rf-transceiver-module/

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

phil99

Guru

Posted: 04:32am 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The data sheet says RS232 interface so serial TTL may need to be inverted.
I think a MM2 MX170 can invert the TTL, though that might only be the console.
A pair of logic inverters might work as it doesn't seem to require both + and - signal voltages of full RS232.

Quote   BY PC. The interface of DRF4432D20 is UART/TTL. If connecting it to PC, users needto use a TTL-to-RS232 level converter to transform the different levels. Dorji AppliedTechnologies also provides converter board for configuration.

Edited 2024-03-28 14:35 by phil99

Footnote added 2024-03-28 15:40 by phil99
MM2 V5.05.05 manual p88 has info on inverting COM1 for RS232.

led-bloon

Posted: 04:36am 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ignore my last - stick with the above
led
Edited 2024-03-28 14:39 by led-bloon
Miss you George

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:20am 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

I assume you have the user manual of these modules. The PC program to set them up ?

Does "ABC" always translate to "Ph(" ? If that is the case the unit may be defaulted to a odd baudrate. Simple way to check is to connect an oscilloscope to the receiving end TX pin (output) and measure the shortest pulse comming out. That is the baudrate.

I remember something like ESP chips that used an odd baudrate until you programmed them to the correct baudrate. Maybe this is something similar.

DRF4432D20.zip

According this you can simply attach a USB-UART-TTL (FTDI/CH340/2102) interface, and run their DRM tool to configure the units.

Volhout
Edited 2024-03-28 17:23 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:11am 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Hi Glenn,

I assume you have the user manual of these modules. The PC program to set them up ?

Does "ABC" always translate to "Ph(" ? If that is the case the unit may be defaulted to a odd baudrate. Simple way to check is to connect an oscilloscope to the receiving end TX pin (output) and measure the shortest pulse comming out. That is the baudrate.

I remember something like ESP chips that used an odd baudrate until you programmed them to the correct baudrate. Maybe this is something similar.

DRF4432D20.zip

According this you can simply attach a USB-UART-TTL (FTDI/CH340/2102) interface, and run their DRM tool to configure the units.

Volhout

Yeah thanks for the file but thats another manual that doesn't match the module. In that manual its a different board, and has a SetA and SetB pins, I only have a Set pin.

Using the factory baud rate. I cant program them yet ( using the software ) as I'm waiting on the programmer board. The suggested "short pin Set to ground" seams to put the device into programming mode ( both TxRx leds on ), but it wont respond to commands at all. So hoping the programming board can work.

This is becoming one of those modules where I should have spent a little more money and bought something thats known to work, wasted way to much time on these.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:44am 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, progress.

Found a 4049 hex inverter, and if I invert both Tx and Rx on both modules, they are talking english   Thanks Phil.

If I short the set pin to ground, it sends out the model number and version, but wont go any further, I cant edit the settings using the AA FA commands.

Will keep tinkering.

Glenn

Footnote added 2024-03-28 18:49 by Gizmo
More success.

The software for programming the modules works now. I can change the settings, dont need the DAC13 board.

Man these things need better documentation.

Thanks for the help guys.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:30pm 31 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well this was a waste of time.

Once I got the two modules talking to each other, I built a couple transistor inverters for each module, mounted on on the rover and the other in a jiffy box so I could plug it into my laptops USB socket.

FYI, I'm using Ardurover firmware and a flight computer on the rover, and Mission Planner on the PC. These two will talk using the modules. In the past I used a couple ESP01 modules to create a wifi connection and send serial data that way. It worked, but was range limited.

So, once I built the new hardware and started testing, I had to fiddle with the settings to get a reliable connection. Ended up with a radio serial speed of 38.4 and a module to PC/FC speed to 19.2, that was the best option with a minimal packet drops.

Rover was talking to PC, and visa versa. All the rover data was streaming down to the PC just fine. Next I went to arm the rover ( via Mission Planner software ), and it froze. Only a power cycle of the module at the PC end would restore it. After a couple hours testing, googling, and reading signals with the cro, I discovered the module ( PC end ) would freeze up if it was getting to much data from the PC. If I connected with a serial terminal program, I could see all the data streaming down from the rover, and I could type a few letters on the keyboard, all good. But if I typed really fast, or held a key down, it would freeze up solid. Power cycle, all good.

The module has a RF Rx and Tx led, the Rx led would keep flashing as data was coming in, but none of it was getting sent out the serial port. Basically, I think the onboard CPU had a sissy fit and stopped working.

Time to cut my losses and abandon these modules, they have issues. Going back to the wifi connection.

Glenn
JAQ

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 31 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My experience with the mission planner and arduino mega based navigation module was similar. There is abundant data exchange and you need to sustain that bandwidth. For model airplanes they have special high power (in Europe illegal) data link systems. And the ardupilot software cannot simply minimize the data exchange. It is more or less ON or OFF.

Wifi offers this bandwidth.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024